Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Writing Wednesdays: A Book of a Different Color

The other day I noticed something strange about myself. Well, something ELSE strange about myself, anyway. I tend to associate books with colors. As in, when I'm thinking about one of my WIPs, my "mind's eye," if you will, fills with a particular color. I'm wondering if anyone else does this or if I'm totally off my rocker.

For example, when I think about Forever Friday, a violet shade comes to mind. Somewhere in this range:

Photo: pantone.com

I have no idea why. There's nothing purple about the novel. It's just the color I associate with it.

When I think about my new Russian novel, Needle's Eye, I see black and red. "High Risk Red," apparently.

Photo: pantone.com

 The dystopian/sci-fi book I was working on was a blue-y yellow-y green-y color that I can only call "Afghan Girl." You know, as in the eyes of girl in the famous National Geographic photo.

Photo: pantone.com

So someone out there, please tell me you're as weird as I am. Otherwise I'll have to keep this kind of crazy to myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never done this before, but I have to say I love it! I thought about colors I'd like on a book cover, but not in quite the same way you're associating colors with books. I think it's another great avenue to explore creative wise. Don't keep this type of crazy to yourself, it's great.

Mara Rae said...

Thank you for making me feel ever-so-slightly less crazy :)

Diana said...

I love hearing about other people's craziness! Makes me feel a little more normal. ;) Seeing your books as colors is pretty nifty, it's like you can see their auras. :)

Sarah said...

Not gonna lie, Mar - this is weird. Maybe you have synesthesia?