Monday, June 18, 2012

Mommy Mondays: Father's Day Fun

Yesterday was, as you all know, Father's Day. I didn't plan anything for John because we're going away the weekend after next for one child-free night, and that's his main gift (thank you Mark and Lauren!). But we did have a lovely day. After I made pancakes, we headed to Georgetown, which was remarkably uncrowded. The weather was perfect, too, which is a small miracle for June. John bought himself some espresso at Baked and Wired while I ogled the cupcakes, and then we spent some time in the gardens behind the Old Stone House (a hidden gem if you ask me).

John, Jack, and me at the Old Stone House
At noon we headed down to the new fountainy thing by the waterfront. I watched from afar while John and Jack played in the water (I finally understand why my mom never went swimming with us as kids; who wants to get their hair wet??).

Jackie with Mike and John (I'm staying nice and dry behind the lens)
After we dragged a screaming Jack away from the fountain, we had lunch with Mike. More screaming ensued when Jack was not allowed to "spin the fan," but we finally strapped him down and enjoyed a 20-minute lunch while Jack shook his head back and forth and said "Mrrrr!" repeatedly, earning us several stares that I can't say were entirely undeserved. Of course by the time we got Jack home for his nap he was so over-tired that he didn't nap, so John and I had about an hour to study our Russian before the child was fetched from his crib. Then we took a trip to the mall, where I found an awesome pair of pants whose price is worth mentioning - $60 on sale from $150, from Club Monaco - and got the already wired child some frozen yogurt because really, what was there to lose at this point? Then I made the mistake of letting Jack catch a glimpse of the carousel you may remember from last year, and there were two joyous rides before Jack was once again pulled kicking and screaming away from the fun.

Pre-screaming
There was more studying, more screaming, and finally a quick dinner and more studying on the couch before bed. But all in all, I'd say it was a pretty great day. I think John would agree.


6 comments:

Emily R. King said...

You have an adorable family. It looks like Jack had a fun time... and your hubby, too. Ha!

Mara Rae said...

Thank you Emily! Jack always has fun if there's a carousel involved, and John always has fun if there's espresso! ;)

Carrie Butler said...

How cute! :) Great pictures, Mara!

Mara Rae said...

Thanks Carrie! And congrats on your book - I enjoyed your interview today :)

alex said...

Awww... I miss Georgetown!

Sarah said...

Loved these pics!!