Saturday, August 27, 2011

Weekly Inspiration: Weddings

In case you haven't noticed, it's wedding season.  Perhaps the whole of summer can be called "wedding season," but for some reason it seems like late August/early September is the height of the madness. 
It's hard to believe John and I celebrate seven years of marriage tomorrow.  In some ways I feel like I can't possibly be old enough to have been married for seven years, and in other ways, those seven years feel more like thirty (I think I've aged one year for every month of Jack's life).  It's amazing how two people can go through so much together, how we can grow and change as individuals and as a couple, and still be just as much in love as we were when we met ten years ago. 

August 28, 2004
To all of our friends with recent or upcoming anniversaries: Happy Anniversary!  A successful marriage is definitely something worth celebrating (whether it's with brunch at the Four Seasons or sitting at the coffee table with a flashlight and granola bars - depending on the weather).

This morning I was at the salon, and it seemed like I was surrounded by wedding chatter.  The red-headed girl next to me (who was brightening her color and planning her up-do for the big day) was something of a bride anomaly.  Most brides I've met are either desperate to lose a few last pounds before the wedding or are too nervous to eat.  But not this gal.  She had brought in a box of a dozen donuts to "share" with the salon employees, but she happily put away three donuts and a massive iced latte while I watched her from under the dryer.  Clearly no qualms about fitting into her dress there - perhaps she's banking on her Spanx?  Whatever the case, she seemed very happy, so more power to her.
Another woman had just been told her niece's wedding was canceled because of the hurricane.  I can't imagine having my wedding canceled the day before.  Now there's a woman who deserves to eat a box of donuts.
And of course, I was getting my hair done because one of my best friends, Shauna, is getting married next weekend!  I couldn't help but smile as I listened to the redhead at the salon describe every detail to her stylist, who was going to the wedding to do the bridal party's hair.  Shauna was one of my bridesmaids, and since I got married in BFE, we all did our own hair.  You can imagine what a small bathroom filled with five bridesmaids and a bride is like two hours prior to the ceremony.  Or maybe you can't.  In fact, I'm not sure you want to.  It's amazing we didn't all pass out from hairspray fumes.  The real kicker was that my mom had the massive bathroom upstairs all to herself.  But there was something special about us all helping each other in that crammed space.  I wouldn't change it for the world.
Pretty maids all in a row
Next weekend I get to watch Shauna walk down the aisle and embark on this wonderful adventure called marriage herself.  I'm so honored and excited to be a part of her big day (slightly less excited to see how Jack performs as the ring bearer - I'm envisioning a toddler running screaming down the aisle with the wedding rings in tow; but don't worry Shauna, I'm sure we'll work it out!).

Most of all, I'm so grateful for every second I've had with John, the only man in the world who would put up with my hysterics over a lost pacifier and still tell me I'm beautiful at the end of the day.  I love you so very much.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Happy anniversary to you and John! I'm so honored to have you in my wedding. 7 years!!!It seems like yesterday we were in that bathroom getting ready, that was such a wonderful experience and I'll treasure it always. I look up to you and John and hope my marriage is as wonderful as yours, you have always been an inspiration to me, and I'm so fortunate to have you as my friend. I love you. Beautiful post Mar, got me teary :)