Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stop and Smell the Tulips

Alright guys, here's the truth - I'm having a rough week.  I really wanted to have some fun writing news to report, but I've got nothing.

Try as I might to get my mind off my book and the endless quest for a literary agent, I seem to be obsessing.  It's all I think about all day long.  When I'm not busy with Jack, I'm reading other people's blogs, just hoping to find a story from someone in my shoes.  In fact, there are tons of these stories, and they all have happy endings; unfortunately, I fear that's because the people who never succeed don't broadcast it to the world.

I'm sure at least some of you can relate to this: you want something so badly, more than you've ever wanted anything, and you have no control over it.  You've taken all the necessary steps, and now your fate lies in someone else's hands.  John went through something similar with the Foreign Service Orals, and the three months between the Essays and Orals seemed interminable.  But at least there was a light at the end of the tunnel.  There is no deadline for literary agents.  They generally try to get back to people within three months.
I think John would agree: Three months is a REALLY LONG TIME.

Today Jack and I went up to D.C. and had lunch with Sarah.  Talking to Sarah always helps, because she understands exactly how I feel.  I promised her I'd do some work on the new book today, so that's what I'm going to do.  I just wanted to share how I'm feeling, and I'm hoping that some of you can relate!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Love the pic! Glad it came out so well. And glad talking to me helps - don't know what I'd do without you, either. Love you.

kerry2642 said...

Thankyou Mara.. enjoying all you have to say..I love reading all that you have to say.. and hipefully I can render some advice.. time to time on "rearing" children.. luv you!!! "AK"

kerry2642 said...

P.S.that should have said hopefully.. and to let you know I think you and John are doing a wonderful.. fantastic.. job @ being the parents of Jack.. He is one very lucky young boy!! hugs again.. "AK"